Friday, July 28, 2006
Katie Greer's "Sneak Peek" into Kindergarten!!

Katie woke up early, early and the first words out of her mouth were. . ."WE'RE GOING TO MEET MY TEACHER TODAY!" Did it sound loud when you read it? - 'Cause it was very loud when she said it. . .followed by nervous little giggles and the biggest grin you can imagine! After exercising and errands, errands, errands - the time had finally come - 1pm. Daddy took a half day off of work just to come and watch his baby girl as she walked into her classroom for the first time.

In front of the school, there were a MILLION cars. . .I don't know what I was expecting - I guess just our little family walking through the doors. . .but I was shocked to see so many kids and momma's and daddy's and more kids, kids, kids!! Katie hardly hesitated a moment for me to take a picture ("oh mom!" sigh) - then ran down the sidewalk to the front door without so much as a glance back at us!

Katie walked down the hall, dodging lots of other soon-to-be kindergarteners until she got to. . .Mrs. Barrett's room! Daddy found Katie's name on the "class list," and Katie double-checked to see it for her very own eyes.

When she walked through Mrs. Barrett's kindergarten classroom doors for the first time, she stopped and almost had a shy moment. That is, until Mrs. Barrett lifted up her eyes and said with a warmth and excitement that every kindergarten teacher should have. . ."Well, you must be Katie!"

That was all it took - the magical fact that Mrs. Barrett already knew who Katie was when she hadn't even yet said a word sent Katie into a gale of giggles! She ran right on over to Mrs. Barrett and a friendship was born! Katie found her seat with a huge packet of information about lunch money, car rider/bus rider, snacks, dress codes, volunteers, curriculum, school rules, school calendar, and on and on and on!! (WHEW! I think I'm the one who's going to be overwhelmed by kindergarten!) Mrs. Barrett had a hard hat for each child with their name on it for them to take home - because they are "constructing their learning," of course! We learned that ours will be one of 3 Katie's in that class! And we found out that 2 of Katie's pre-school classmates will be in her class here! I tell you Katie has not stopped beaming!




I would like to introduce to everyone. . .Mrs. Barrett (in the red striped shirt) and her assistant, Mrs. Sutton. . .standing with a tiny little "spitfire" of a girl that these teachers will never forget!


3 Comments:

How precious! She looks so excited!

Blogger Crew Mom said...

You know...I just can't stop thinking about Katie starting Kindergarten...i am just so proud of her...all her accomplishments, and all her joy as she does each one...she is so special and a blessing to all who know her~!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word!! The baby girl is going to Kindergarten??? When did you grow up little dumpling??? I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes just reading about the experience! Thank goodness I wasn't along or I would have used an entire box of Kleenex!! Katie I know you will have a WONDERFUL school year! I am SO proud of you!!! Take good care of your momma - sounds like she's gonna need it! ;-)
I love you all! Denise Oravec

Post a Comment

<< Home